Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Kalligraphia 13

San Francisco Public Library

My whole family went with me to the opening reception for Kalligraphia 13 last Saturday!  Okay, I had to bribe them with lunch beforehand...but they were gracious and enthusiastic while I oohed and aahed over the amazing, varied, and outstanding work of my SF Friends of Calligraphy colleagues.


I'll never forget the thrill, six years ago, of seeing my Letters of Note exemplar displayed in the Kalligraphia 11 exhibit!  The show happens every three years, but I missed Kalligraphia 12 during the year I couldn't hold a pen due to adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder).  It was good to be back.

I came upon my piece, Grace, close to the entrance in a case right next to (gulp) the venerable Thomas Ingmire.  Susie Taylor--gifted calligrapher, Harrison Collection curator, and overseer of the exhibit---made sure I knew that show placement had to do only with where the pieces fit physically, not with comparative artistry.  Well, duh!  Lucky for me, they let anyone in...

 

Also sharing "our" display case was Ann Miller, who had been my teacher for a summer course in 2004 at the Academy of Art University, a fantastic overview of pretty much the whole history of calligraphy.  That foundation has served me well. Thank you, Ann!

Ann & Lance Miller
Seems as if six years ago I was just getting going with pen and ink, a stranger in a strange land;  this time I was delighted at how many of the artists I knew, and how many of the pieces I had seen in process during various classes and workshops.  Case in point, Ruth Korch's Hyacinths for the Soul from the Liesbet Boudens weekend last August:
Ruth Korch (top)
I didn't attend the Lisa Engelbrecht workshop last summer but wish I had!  Here's Carla Tenret's piece on fabric:

Carla Tenret
I've never met Marsha Brady but I'm a big fan:
Marsha Brady 
A record 98 calligraphers are represented in the show.  If you're anywhere near the Bay Area before August 26, treat yourself to a visit.  If you go on a Saturday, you might catch a demo by one of the Friends of Calligraphy rock stars (see schedule here) from 2-4 pm.  In the meantime, you can see a lot more of the pieces in the album Raoul Martinez, talented calligrapher and ace photographer, has posted here!

11 comments:

  1. Your "Grace" piece is amazing, Jody, (wow!!) and I so appreciate you sharing the link to more photos - off to drool...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to believe you just began about six years ago! You are truly amazing!! Thanks so much for sharing ~ and like Jane, I am off to check out these links and swoon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane and Dana! Your work and your encouragement have been great inspirations! When I grow up I want to write like you...

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, Jody! I loved reading about this, and I know there could have been another spot for your piece, so it wasn't all about 'fit'. : ) Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan! You're too funny. Whatever the reasoning, I happily dwell in Thomas' shadow!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful story! I loved the photos and hearing about your journey. Your piece is beautiful and deservingly placed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jody, you took my comment about where your work fit in much to seriously! Your piece is really well done--it shows itself off nicely in the case with Thomas's book and Ann's broadside. Thanks for being in the show,
    Sincerely, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Susie, I was just poking fun at myself because they are such rock stars and I'm such a wannabe! You have always been so kind and supportive, and you could have hung my piece in the elevator and I would have been happy--though the glow from my neighbors' work may improve it a bit. I thought your remark was hilarious!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations Jody. Your calligraphy sure is beautiful and shines brightly next to the "rock stars"!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails