Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Textured Letters with Barbara Close

Photo by Laura Bernabei

Some catching up to do!  The last weekend in March, the San Francisco Friends of Calligraphy sponsored a workshop by Barbara Close, whose store of techniques and enthusiasm seem absolutely boundless!  I always appreciate an organized, yet flexible teacher, and Barb was certainly all that.

Within the framework of creating textured letters, we played with watercolor, collage, paste paper, embossing, shadows and doodles. 

Photo by Laura Bernabei 
Photo by Laura Bernabei

Photo by Laura Bernabei
Photo by Henry Silva
Photo by Henry Silva
Photo by Henry Silva
Photo by Henry Silva
We even made a lovely little folio in which to keep our creations.  (And always happy to find a use for my Czech glass button collection!)

Photo by Henry Silva
It was one of those more-process-than-product workshops where you leave with just a handful of creations but a veritable truckload of techniques and inspiration!

As an added bonus, Ruth Korch--my awesome table-mate and partner in crime--and I dashed over during lunch to the furniture sale in another building at Fort Mason and with Ruth's encouragement I scored this fabulous chair, covered abundantly with French calligraphy!

Photo by Laura Bernabei
All in all, a fun and relaxing way to spend a weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like an awesome class! Love the chair. I think I may need to get one of those for my studio...
    Miss you, Jody. See you in July. xo, Harvest

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a girl after my own heart! I always have to slip away from a class to do a little shopping - the shopaholic in me. :) I adore that chair - and LOVE your letters! Such fun.You will have to join our alphabet project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto, ditto. How do you get so lucky as to score a chair like that without even trying? And the letters are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this workshop! (but I could say that about any of Barbara Close's workshops!) The chair is a perfect find, and I also love, love, LOVE that beautiful glass button.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails